Tuesday, 12 April 2005

Got all these articles from ivillage.com. They are for married couples though, but you can use some for your own relationship to make them better.

Secrets of Happy Marriages

touch each other - outside the bedroom
create sweet rituals
practise kindergarten kindness - say thanks, please, im sorry
let the compliments fly
think random acts of kindness
choose kindness when you both need it most
talk each other up (say nice things abt yr partner to people)

--

20 No-Brainer Ways to Make Him Feel Special
1. Be very impressed with his uncanny ability to read maps and figure out shortcuts that shave a full six seconds off his driving time.
2. When you catch someone checking him out, let him know (even if it's another guy).
3. Mastery of power tools is a deep wellspring of male pride. Ask frequently to have things mounted, fixed, planed, hung, adjusted, what have you, and be flabbergasted at how quickly and professionally he gets the job done.
4. Flirt with him in inappropriate places: family dinners, crowded elevators, parent-teacher conferences.
5. Leave the lid up for him (even if it kills you).
6. Lavish him with compliments that are obviously unique to him. Little things, like he has sexy ears, or you love the way he slices an onion.
7. When something's wrong with your car, ask him to take a look under the hood, even if he knows diddly about cars. Afterward, tell him it's running much better. Then drive straight to the mechanic.
8. Make a screen saver out of his most adorable baby picture.
9. Every male has physical features he hates. Convince him that you find his sexy. As in, "Shoulder hair rocks my world" or "Rub me all over with that great big belly of yours."
10. Challenge him to an arm wrestle (unless you can beat him).
11. Compliment his driving. Use words like masterful and in control. (Please note: Do not do this in tandem with a request for him to do all the driving on a particular trip.)
12. Tell him there's something about his favorite athlete that reminds you of him.
13. Act jealous every now and then -- even if you're not.
14. Call him in the middle of the night when you're out of town and tell him you can't sleep without him beside you. (Use sparingly.)
15. Don't overlook the basics. Tell him he's a terrific father. Tell him he's smart. Tell him he's handsome.
16. Compare him (favorably) to your old boyfriends.
17. Rave about his cooking, even if Dinty Moore did all the prep work. Take a small first helping so he can see you go back for seconds.
18. Boast about his latest accomplishment (say, the new sink he installed) to your friends while he's there. Omit unflattering details (faucets reversed, U-joint spritzing water onto linoleum).
19. When you overhear your kids bragging about him to their friends, tell him what they said.
20. Compliment (frequently) his impeccable taste -- in clothing, in films, and in women.

--

Plan a top-secret, super-confidential date.
If you're like us, we bet one of you is always picking the movie or calling to make the dinner reservations. So bust out of the rut: Every Friday or Saturday for the next month or two, trade off surprising each other with hush-hush romantic outings. Don't leak a single detail ahead of time ‑- he'll never see the karaoke duet coming.

Why it's hot: Shocking each other ‑- in a good way ‑- lets you explore new and exciting sides of yourself and each other. Oh, and there's a bonus in it for you: "Most men thrive on competition, so your husband / partner will probably go all out for it," says Love.

[ I think the last one is a good one eh? Shall suggest to Mazreen. Hehe ]

--

I don't have the perfect relationship but I realised it takes a very simple thought to make things good me and Mazreen. I just think that I want to be the best person I can be, no throwing tantrums or nagging etc, so that Mazreen will have fun.

I admit sometimes I nag, I scold, I get pissed off, etc. More so when it's the time of the month. Haha. But seriously I realised there will be times when he will love me more, and vice versa.

Sometimes both of us are so madly in love with each other (that's the best time of course, heheh) and we will want to do everything together.

But u see, what I'm trying to say is, those times will pass. Sometimes you will feel your partner slipping away, so rather than panicking and nagging at him why why why is it like this, I think it's actually time to remember what brought you both together in the first place and do all you can to remind him of that. Or if he says he wants out because he isn't making you happy, then you go make the effort to make him happy. Go pamper him or something, do something sweet for him no matter how corny it is, but not too much because he needs space too. He will realise he's lucky to have you, and that's what you want. Jgn dia kata dia nak break up, you end up yelling at him let's do it! Fight for what you want, but if he seriously can't provide you the happiness you want then you know what to do.

You have to remember, sometimes people take a defeatist attitude to things - even to something very important and special to them. After a while you know how he kind of operates, so work around that. Not be manipulative lah, but know how to work with your r/s to bring out the best results for both of you.

I'm speaking like Oprah or some psychologist right now, but it's only because I wanted to offer my 2 cents worth on how to make things better. I don't have a perfect relationship and I have arguments with Mazreen all the time (loads of it! haha) but after a while we agreed that we will always have arguments, but know at the end of the day we are ok, no matter what (although of course sometimes I forget and panic giler like last Tuesday) It helps if you have a routine.. as in, me and Mazreen talk after we both calm down (or even if we still arguing sometimes) Either one of us wd make the effort to initiate a talk and ask how and why and stuff so it really helps actually.

This is what works in my r/s, I don't know what works in yours.. so if you don't already know, go find out. I think problems are always always always work-able, treat-able. You just have to be committed to the r/s and to the guy. There's a difference actually - being committed to the guy means not having a 3rd party in the r/s. Being committed to the r/s means you will take the necessary steps to make things good.

I'm sure you have good memories that only the 2 of you share, after being together for quite some time already. Use that as strength or motivation lah, if you think your r/s can work out, to motivate yourself to improve the r/s.

I am not doing this because I want to boast my r/s is like super good or something. I have my bad moments with Mazreen as anyone who reads my blog regularly would know.. All I'm trying to say is things are workable.

Mazreen said something on Sunday night when we were arguing. We were in the car, and after a long silence he said goodnight and opened the door. I said then, "Don't call me anymore ok."

He got back into the car, looked at me and said "You tahu kenapa I tak cakap gitu lagi? Because I don't want it to happen"

He used to say it a lot when we were arguing last time. But yeah I realised he has stopped saying it.

Anyways my point in that story above is, don't say things you don't want to happen. Seriously.

So that's my very heavy blog entry for today. Heavy & loaded with advice. Aku kan suka feeling2 tak pasal2. Hahaha.

No comments: